Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Birthday and Friday Sketch Challenge!

It was my husband's grandfather's birthday today and I made him a card. I find making cards for guys really difficult and I have no 'guy' stamps! So I enlisted my husband's help for this card. He draws very well and I asked him to draw me a Lancaster plane from WWII. His grandfather was a mechanic during the war and this was one of the planes he worked on and he loves airplane models so I thought this card would be appropriate! It was drawn on watercolour paper and then I painted it using Distress Inks - painting the camouflage was interesting and I hope it looks realistic enough! The papers are all from K & Co and I'm not sure if you can tell but the bottom paper is a map of the world which I thought worked well!

 


Here's a close-up of the actual plane. Then again that might be a bad idea - all the imperfections are a lot more noticeable :)



I'm also going to submit this to the Friday Sketcher's Challenge - it's been a while since I've done a challenge!

Thanks for visiting and I do love hearing what you think about the cards!

And...before I go...here's a bookmark that went with the card. It's supposed to be a propeller for a plane - guys seem to get but I'm not sure about it!





Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

Claudia Rosa ~ Pretty Pressings said...

absloutely awesome!!!
wow.. great image and you made a fabulous card with it!!
thanks so much for submitting this card
hugss
claudia

Heidi said...

This is so great - I really love your work. The The image is so cool. Thank you for joining FS this week

Hugs from
Heidi

Melyssa said...

This is fabulous. Your husband should be desinging stamps! I love the camo detail in the plane.

Carmen said...

Great image!! Always looking out for great manly cards!

Anonymous said...

I truly love your card. My DH is crazy about planes...so I had to show him. Love it!

Ann said...

Wow! Awesome guy card! I LOVE the camouflage plane! :D

Jeanette said...

What an amazing and meaningful card you have made. I think it is just wonderful. I am sure the it will be cherished! Hugs Jeanette

Cardmaking Galore said...

Lovely card - great for a male recipient

Sammi said...

Oh how wonderful!! Your card is AWESOME! Your hubby is very clever :)

*Sally* said...

Wow this is a great card, ideal for my RAF hubby! He is great at drawing too, perhaps I should 'enlist' him too, lol!

Sally x

Jennie said...

This is a great masculine card. I love the colors and the bookmark is great too!

Virginia Killmore said...

Love your background how did you change it?

Carole said...

Amazing work!

Marnie said...

This is the perfect masculine card something that I find very hard! This totally ROCKS!

Dianne said...

What a great card! Your detailing is absolutely perfect!

Kathi said...

Wow. That's outstanding! The drawing is wonderful, you colored it well, and the paper choices are spot on.

I also like the tag.

Very thoughtful too. I bet he'll treasure the card.

Lauren said...

This is gorgeous. Its always so hard to make guy cards.
xx

Dragana Skoro said...

This is such a wonderful card!!! Colours are so nice.

Lyn S said...

This is an awesome card! Your DH did a great sketch...hope his grandfather enjoyed the card!